RUINS - PhMuseum

RUINS

Petr Antonov

2013 - Ongoing

Russia

No statistical data exists on Soviet church closures, but comparing the figures for the years 1914 and 1987 it can be assumed that roughly 48 000 churches were closed or demolished during the Soviet period.

Similarly there is no count of churches that remain in ruins after the fall of the Soviet Union, however crowd-sourced data suggests that at least 5500 churches, or one third of those surviving are currently abandoned.

Scattered in the landscape the ruins stand as relics from the period of Russian antiquity—a hundred years back in time, but seemingly unrelated to the country and people of today.

{{ readMoreButton }}

  • Church of the Dormition of the Virgin in the village of Prudki. The church was built between 1850 and 1900, closed in 1939.

  • Church of St Nicolas in the village of Terenteevo. The church was built in 1831 and closed after 1917.

  • Church of the Presentation of Our Lady in the village of Pet. The church was built in 1913 and likely closed in the 1920s.

  • Church of St Nicolas in the village of Likhachevo. The church was built between in 1888 and closed in 1936 or 1937.

  • Church of the Intercession of Our Lady in the village of Cherepovo. The church was built in 1824 and closed in 1940.

  • Church of the Holy Trinty in the village of Piataya Gora. The church was built between 1827 and 1831, closed in 1943.

  • Church of the Holy Trinty in the village of Andrianovo. The church was built in 1831 and closed in 1936.

  • Church of Our Lady of the Sign in the village of Teploe. The church was built in 1797 and closed in 1937.

  • Church of the Holy Trinity in the village of Aristovo. The church was built in 1681 and сlosed in 1963.

  • Church of Transfiguration of Our Lord in in the village of Pischugovo. The church was built in 1702, closed down in the 1920s or 1930s.

  • Church of Our Lady of Kazan in the village of Bogorodskoe. The church was built in 1721 and closed in the 1920s.

  • Church of the Holy Trinity in the village of Poyemechye. The church was built in 1762, closed down in the 1920s or 1930s.

  • Church of the Meeting of Our Lord in the village of Rezanino. The church was built in 1803 and closed in the 1960s.

  • Church of the Intercession of Our Lady in Kosmachevo. The church was built in 1906, closed in the 1940s or 1960s.

  • Church of Our Lady 'Joy of All Who Sorrow'. The church was built in 1858, heavily damaged during World War II and not functioning since 1940s.

  • Church of Nicetah the Martyr in the village of Kazarinovo. The church was built in 1904 and closed in 1934.

  • Church of St Nicolas in the village of Kaverino. The church was built between 1905 and 1911, closed in the 1920s or1930s.


Newsletter