The National Network of Silos, promoted by the National Wheat Service (founded in 1936 during the Spanish Civi War), was developed from 1940 with the aim of giving rural areas storage space for cereal production.
Between 1945 and 1986 more than 600 silos and almost 300 barns were built across the Spanish territory.
The decline of the network started in 1984, first as a result of the end of the wheat monopoly which the Spanish state enjoyed until that moment, and second after Spain’s accession to the European Economic Community in 1986 that led to the adoption of the Common Agricultural Policy.
At the beginning of this century, the national network stopped working and ownership of the silos transferred to the Autonomous Communities (regional administration). These regionally-owned buildings, which formed the so-called Secondary Network, are those currently in the worst state of disrepair.
‘Trigo’ is born with the goal of reflecting on the depopulation of small villages, as society becomes more urban and people move to the big cities, using as common thread the abandoned state of cereal silos part of the secondary network in the province of Palencia.