2015 - 2016
The project False Positives is about intelligent surveillance systems. These are camera’s that are said to be able to detect deviant behaviour within public space. False Positives is set around the question of normative behaviour. It aims to raise this question by basing the project on eight different ‘anomalies’.
These so called anomalies are sign in body-language and movement that could indicate criminal intent. It is through these anomalies the algorithms are built and cameras are able to detect deviant behaviour. The eight different anomalies were pointed out to me by several intelligent surveillance experts with whom I collaborated for this project.
The anomaly: Something that deviates from what is standard, normal or expected.
1. Anomaly # 01 - Standing Still
2. Anomaly # 02 - Fast Movements
3. Anomaly # 03 - Lonely Objects
4. Anomaly # 04 - Placement On A Corner
5. Anomaly # 05 - Clusters Breaking Apart
6. Anomaly # 06 - Synchronised Movements
7. Anomaly # 07 - Repeatedly Looking Back
8. Anomaly # 08 - Deviant Directions